Brian J. Appel is the founder and managing partner of Appel & Henick LLP.
Mr. Appel credits the depth and breadth of his practice and the practical approach he brings to the representation of the firm’s diverse clients to his experience on the business side of the real estate industry. After spending five years with a highly regarded real estate department in one of Los Angeles’ best known larger law firms and prior to founding the firm in 1991, Mr. Appel worked in the real estate investment banking business arranging capital for real estate transactions and pursuing real estate investment opportunities for clients and for direct investment. Mr. Appel is active as a principal in the acquisition and development of real estate projects and as a real estate investor.
Mr. Appel’s practice includes acquisitions, sales, leasing, design and construction contracts and all tiers of capital transactions and related entity formation and structuring.
Mr. Appel received his Bachelor of Business Administration, with distinction, in 1982 from the School of Business at the University of Wisconsin and his J.D. in 1985 from UCLA School of Law. Mr. Appel is a member of the International Council of Shopping Centers.
Mr. Appel devotes substantial time and resources to civic and charitable activities, with a special emphasis on programs involved in mentoring and helping at-risk and in-need children. Examples of his community activities include:
• Active involvement since 1986 in the Big Brother/Big Sister movement (with eight years as a big brother and as a member of the Board of Trustees of Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Los Angeles since 1989).
• Received the “Inspiration Award” at the Centennial Celebration of Jewish Big Brothers Big Sisters of Los Angeles.
• Founded in 1995 (and for 10 years chairing) the Dave Singer Memorial Golf Tournament Benefiting Camp Max Straus (which raises money for at-risk children to Camp Max Straus).
• Co-Chairing a venture philanthropy fund.
• Advising and fundraising for the Friendship Circle of Los Angeles (serving developmentally disabled children and their families).
• Working as a mentor for younger professionals looking to become more actively involved in community and charitable work.
Mr. Appel adores his wife and two children and devotes time to his passion for cycling, skiing, yoga and playing the drums.